For the August discussion meetup, we’ll be cautiously, tentatively, and with assumptions of good faith all around (!) prodding at the culture war by discussing the Dobbs v Jackson Women’s Health Organization Supreme Court. This decision overturns Roe v Wade.
We have many directions we can go in including the relationship of the Supreme Court to legislation and policy, the consequences (intended or otherwise) of restricting abortion, and, should we dare, the ethics of abortion itself.
Thanks to Nathaniel and Jana for the suggested readings for this month’s topic.
DATE & LOCATION
- Date: Saturday, 8/6 @ 2pm-4pm
- Location: South Loop Strength & Conditioning – upstairs in the mezzanine 645 S Clark Chicago IL 60605 Note: Todd owns this gym so that’s why there’s a Rationality meetup at a gym 🙂
Please feel free to come to the meetup even if you don’t do any (or only some) of the suggested reading. These are just starting points to get the discussion going and are by no means required.
Please also feel free to come even if you’re worried you aren’t the “typical person who comes to a Rationality meetup.”
- Supreme Court overturns constitutional right to abortion from SCOTUSblog
- Returning regulation to the states, and predictable harms to health from SCOTUSblog
- The Time for Leftist Extralegal Action Has Finally Come from Freddie deBoer
- Kansas abortion vote: Pro-life amendment fails, in first post-Roe vote from Catholic News Agency
- Abortion laws spark profound changes in other medical care from APNews
Should you dare wade into some comment threads:
- Marginal Revolution open thread (search for user “Sure” who is a medical doctor)
- ACX open thread (search for user “20WS”)
Full Text of Supreme Court decisions:
- Roe v Wade
- Doe v Bolton, Planned Parenthood v Casey (What I understand to be two concurring opinions and a dissent for Roe, issued under the aegis of a different but related case)
- Dobbs v Jackson’s Women’s Health
- What happens during an abortion?
- Maternal Mortality Rates in the United States, 2020
- U.S. Maternal Mortality Within a Global Context: Historical Trends, Current State, and Future Directions
Due Process Clause info:
- The Nonidentity Problem from Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy
And, the most important question of all: