Note: This meetup is one of the Astral Codex Ten Schelling Point meetups for Spring 2022.
For our May meetup, we will be discussing the seeming slowdown of progress and lack of “genius” in many fields — despite the vastly larger and better resourced population working on, well, just about everything.
Suggested (and optional!) reading or listening:
- “Where’s Today’s Beethoven?” from Holden Karnofsky/Cold Takes
- “Slowed Progress in Canonical Fields of Science” from Johan Chu and James Evans
- UChicago Big Brains podcast with James Evans “Is Scientific Progress Slowing?“
- “Contra Hoel on Aristocratic Tutoring” from Astral Codex Ten
- “Science is Getting Less Bang for its Buck” from Patrick Collison and Michael Nielsen in The Atlantic
Please feel free to come to the meetup, even if you don’t do any (or only some) of the suggested reading. These are just starting points to get the discussion going and are by no means required.