Hey all—by some kind of emergent process, we have self-organized a topic for next meetup: Free Will.
This is a VAST topic with a ton of writings. Any recommendations?
Here are a few possibilities, H/T Shane with an addition by myself:
a) Rationalist: Yukdowski (I’d grab the last few posts):
(b) Rationalist-ish?: Dan Dennett
• Bryan Caplan: http://econfaculty.gmu.edu/bcaplan/freewill
• Michael Humer: http://www.owl232.net/papers/fwill.htm
(d) Moral/Societal implications of
• Determinism (no free will)
• Non-Determinism/Free Will
• Compatibilism (free will and determinism are mutually compatible – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compatibilism)”
(e) pragmatism, or, “its not a real question” (William James)
(from the section “Let me take up another well-worn controversy, THE FREE-WILL PROBLEM”)
I would also like to strongly urge anyone who takes this topic seriously to begin with a definition of “free will” and criteria by which the question can be answered, “do we have free will?”. If anybody knows of any writing that deals with *THAT* aspect please let me know!