The next monthly discussion meetup is Saturday, April 8 @ 2 PM (see below for location details). NOTE: Due to a scheduling conflict, we are not hosting our monthly discussion meetup on our normal first Saturday of the month. Also, the meeting space can be chilly, so wear layers.
This month’s topic will be state forms and geopolitical struggles in the 21st century. We will discuss how modern states wield power through the lenses of several different political ideologies. Suggested readings are below the logistical details.
Also, please feel free to come even if you’re worried it will be awkward, you won’t fit in, or you aren’t the “typical person who comes to a Rationality meetup.” We are welcoming (albeit occasionally argumentative)!
DATE & LOCATION
Date: Saturday, 4/8 @ 2pm–4:30pm (roughly)
Location: South Loop Strength & Conditioning – upstairs in the mezzanine
645 S Clark
Chicago IL 60605
Note: Todd owns this gym so that’s why there’s a Rationality meetup at a gym 🙂
If you have trouble finding us, DM Todd on the Discord or post in “meetups”.
Thanks to Lee for suggesting this month’s topic and readings.
- An overview of what the concept of “civilization-state” and how it differs from a nation-state. This is a key concept for discussing modern geopolitical struggles: https://www.noemamag.com/the-clash-of-civilizational-states/
- A pro-Russian outlook on the “New Axis” which Russia and China are creating as an oppositional pole to the United States: https://www.geopolitika.ru/en/article/chinas-global-civilization-initiative-its-response-wests-liberal-globalism?fbclid=IwAR3nEUAjHDEzlWBXceCBWxrTW8VrsCt0tho5weNu6dpzUwqMSN8GdCN6wmQ/
- Pro-American, pro-liberal writing on the geopolitical struggle between the United States and Russia/China: https://noahpinion.substack.com/p/the-war-economy-sizing-up-the-new
- Pro-fascist writing about the civilization-state and how the United States could potentially turn into one in the future: https://fascio.substack.com/p/civilizational-states-self-determination?fbclid=IwAR1q3-9iRw8uEULcZypP6UngfFdLrXX0hElupNYw60VjjbSH2oEmHQ162z4
- Some context on the Russian invasion of Ukraine and the Russian outlook explaining their invasion: https://theloop.ecpr.eu/russias-war-and-the-rhetoric-of-the-civilisation-state-in-global-politics/
The readings from last April’s meetup on Foreign Policy Through a Rationality Lens may also be helpful to get a grounding in the ideas of realism, liberalism, and constructivism in a foreign policy context: https://chicagorationality.com/april-2022-meetup/
Email list and discussion topics archive » https://chicagorationality.com
Discord » https://discord.gg/eDHq3TXrH3
Events Calendar »
iCal (e.g for iOS): https://calendar.google.com/calendar/ical/info%40chicagorationality.com/public/basic.ics